fbpx

Prosecutors accused a woman of fundraising for her son’s funeral when in reality she had placed the boy for adoption

Holly Garcia in a mugshot released by the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office on Thursday. Facebook/Burlington County Prosecutor's Office

A 33-year-old woman is accused of setting up a fraudulent GoFundMe campaign, claiming it was to raise money for her son’s funeral when in reality she had placed the 4-year-old boy for adoption, New Jersey prosecutors said.

In a Facebook post about the case on Thursday, the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office said the boy’s adoptive parents alerted law-enforcement authorities in June to a GoFundMe campaign that was using a picture of their son. It was asking for money to help pay for the funeral of a boy who had died of cancer.

Investigators found that the campaign was started by Holly Garcia, the boy’s biological mother, who had signed away her parental rights, the prosecutor’s office said.

“Further investigation determined that Garcia had created multiple fictitious GoFundMe campaigns seeking money for the following: an urn for her dead son’s ashes; assistance for her 4-year-old son who is going blind in one eye (and whose father had died); assistance for her unborn child; a stroller for her two-month old son, who was born premature; and assistance raising rent money for an apartment, because she claimed she was four months pregnant and homeless,” the Facebook post said.

Garcia was taken into custody on September 24 and was released last week, the prosecutor’s office said on Thursday, adding that she had been charged with second-degree computer criminal activity and third-degree attempted theft by deception. Her case will now go to a grand jury, the office said.

The prosecutors said that GoFundMe took down Garcia’s campaigns after law-enforcement officials alerted it to them and that and she was never able to collect any of the $11,350 she requested.

GoFundMe did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.

h/t: Insider